December 10th, 2014
I’m so pleased that I will be speaking at both SXSW Interactive and SXSW Music Conferences in 2015. This will be my first year participating in the Interactive conference and my second year participating in a panel at SXSW Music. Below are descriptions of both panels.
Building Trust in Community Marketplaces
Trust is one of the most important elements in building any online community, particularly in the ‘share’ economy as possessions, homes, resources, and skills are traded, rented, and sold.
This panel explores different strategies and approaches to building a responsible and secure community marketplace. Experts from within the industry will share successes and failures, risks and rewards of community marketplaces.
We will discuss features to integrate into your platform to develop trust and safety within your community marketplace, as well as when and how to incorporate social media to strengthen community ties. The panel will also present different approaches to user disputes and complaints, insurance policies and liability, and customer service.
- What are the biggest challenges in building community marketplaces? What are some of the greatest benefits and rewards to building share economy communities?
- What are specific examples of ways to build and maintain trust and safety in online communities? How can you integrate features into the platform to develop trust and safety? When and how should you use media integration to encourage trust and safety within these communities? What is the role of customer service in user trust and safety?
- What to do when things go wrong – how to salvage and make the best of bad user experiences? What are the best strategies for handling and resolving user disputes?
- What role does insurance play in building communities in share economy companies? How often do you need to actually tap the insurance company to cover a claim and are they really necessary?
- A lot of companies are clashing with state, city and federal regulations and laws. How can companies work with the government to increase the reliability and safety of their communities? What are some approaches for dealing with governmental or organized efforts against the community?
- Jennifer Newman Sharpe Law Offices of Jennifer Newman Sharpe; Sparkplug
- Julia Wilde Sparkplug
- Corinne Haxton Pavlovic Etsy
- Steve Kirkham Airbnb
Sync in 2015: Newest Trends, Tools and Techniques
Sync licensing is a primary revenue stream for many artists. With the advent of new business models and technologies, artists can continue to generate revenue opportunities beyond just the original placement. During this panel we’ll examine the latest developments in synchronization licensing strategy and monetization. Panelists will delve into the details of content ID, micro syncs and multi channel networks, while focusing on the best ways to monetize content on YouTube and other online platforms. We will discuss innovative approaches to brand partnerships and strategic syncs as well as outline major deal terms, negotiation tactics, and potential red flags.
- What are the current trends in licensing? How can I leverage these trends to get my music placed? What strategies can I deploy to close the deal? What are the common pitfalls and how do I avoid them?
- What new technologies and practices can I use to monetize my content further?
- What is content ID and how to start collecting? What is a multi channel network and how do I join one? What are the benefits to joining a MCN? How are advertisers using MCNs to boost brand awareness?
- What are the best YouTube monetization strategies? How can I use content id and an MCN to make the most revenue from youtube views?
- What are ad agencies looking for in a music partner? How do I get my music in advertisements? What are ways to partner with brands outside of traditional sync licensing?